If you use Joomla for marketing automation, we have a new OSDownloads feature that you'll love.
OSDownloads now integrates with MailChimp Groups. This means you can send targeted emails to people who download a particular file.
For example, if someone downloads OSDownloads, we can send them a series of follow-up emails about that extension.
Let' s see how this new feature works.
Step #1. Set up groups in MailChimp
- Login to your MailChimp account.
- Click Lists and choose the list you want to use.
- Click Manage Subscribers > Groups.
- If you don't have groups already, you can create them here. I've created a group for all free Alledia.com extensions:
Step #2. Install OSDownloads Pro
- Click the "MailChimp" tab.
- Set "Connect to Mailchimp" to Yes.
- Enter your Mailchimp API Key. You can find that key inside MailChimp.com by going to Account > Extras > API keys.
- Save the Options screen.
- You will now be able to choose from your MailChimp Lists.
- Choose your list and your groups will appear.
On this screen, you can choose the global settings for OSDownloads' integration with MailChimp.
Step #3. Connect files to MailChimp groups
In addition to the global setting, you can also connect MailChimp to different categories and files.
- Go to OSDownloads > Files.
- Open a file.
- Click the "Requirements to Download" tab.
- Set "Require Email" to "Yes".
- Click the "Advanced" tab.
- You can now choose which group people will be added to when they download this file.
Step #4. Set up MailChimp marketing automation
Now you are ready to create your autoresponders. Go back to MailChimp.com and you can use their "Automation" feature to set up your emails.
- Go to Automation > Create Automation Workflow.
- You can now send choose "Joins List Group" to create your workflow.
What's next for OSDownloads and MailChimp automation?
We're going to add custom fields so that you can collect specific information from people when they download a file.
This will make OSDownloads an even more useful marketing automation tool for Joomla.
About the author
Steve is the founder of OSTraining. Originally from the UK, he now lives in Sarasota in the USA. He was a teacher for many years before starting OSTraining. Steve wrote the best-selling Drupal and Joomla books.