Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) are equal parts exciting and challenging for businesses. When it comes to mobile app development teams, the integration of different technologies, infrastructure alignment, and management of multiple applications can feel overwhelming.
The challenge of integrating and merging technologies doesn’t have to be cumbersome. Rather, effective M&A deals result from organizations taking decisions on the future of their IT systems early. Superapps, which combine disparate digital experiences into one, can help streamline the integration process. In fact, Bain & Company reports that “… the best acquirers move quickly when integrating to a single set of systems.”
Let’s dive into the technological impact of M&A and how superapps can offer a lifeline for mobile app development teams.
The technological impact of M&A
M&A activities can reshape technology ecosystems entirely, especially when it comes to mobile applications. A few challenges that development teams often face are:
1. Integration complexities: Merging organizations often have different tech stacks, backend systems, and databases. Bringing all these pieces together into a single infrastructure requires careful planning, data mapping, and migration.
2. User experience disruptions: For internal apps, getting employees to adopt new tools can lead to reduced productivity and added confusion around which technology to use. For public-facing apps, migrating to a new platform can introduce unnecessary disruption and negatively impact their experience, potentially causing them to look for other options. Providing a consistent experience throughout the integration process is vital to keeping your users happy.
3. Data consolidation and security: Post-merger, lots of data needs to be consolidated and secured. Ensuring the accuracy, integrity, and privacy of sensitive data during the integration process is critical.
4. Infrastructure alignment: Combining IT infrastructures, networks, and data centers can be a daunting task. Standardizing and streamlining the infrastructure is key to optimizing resources and reducing operational costs.
5. Resource allocation and time constraints: M&A activities demand significant time and budget. Balancing ongoing operations, projects, and integration tasks within tight timelines puts pressure on the development team.
The superapp solution
Enter superapps: a potential solution to tackle the challenges that teams face during M&A. Here’s how they can help:
1. Simplified integration: Superapps bring together the functionalities of merging organizations’ mobile apps into one platform, making the integration process smoother. Development teams can focus on integrating and maintaining a single app, reducing complexity and saving time.
2. Seamless user experience: Superapps provide a unified and consistent user experience by offering a single entry point for various services. Users can access multiple functionalities within one app, eliminating the need to juggle between different applications.
3. Data consolidation and security: With superapps, data can be transferred and consolidated within the app’s backend systems. By reducing attack vectors and minimizing the authentication and authorization touchpoints surrounding the app, developers can ensure that the newly formed pool of data will remain secure.
4. Scalability and flexibility: Superapps are designed to grow with your organization. They provide a flexible framework to easily integrate new services or features, ensuring your app ecosystem can adapt to changing business needs and scale effortlessly.
5. Simplified maintenance and support: Managing a single superapp is typically easier than dealing with disparate applications. Development teams can concentrate their efforts on maintaining and enhancing a single codebase, reducing the complexity of managing multiple apps.
Get started with the Superapp SDK
Mergers and acquisitions can be complex, but there are ways to make them easier on development teams. Superapps can bring order to what otherwise feels like chaos. By unifying functionalities, ensuring a seamless user experience, and simplifying consolidation and maintenance efforts, superapps offer a streamlined path to successful integration.
The benefits don’t end with the development team. As Statista found when surveying consumers in leading global markets, consumers agree that superapps not only provide convenience benefits, but they value the coordination of important features and functions being in one place and feel more secure operating within a single platform.
The Superapp SDK by Ionic embraces the power of superapps and empowers development teams to navigate the challenges of M&A, unlocking the full potential of a merged organization’s mobile app ecosystem.