Google Docs are some of trickiest things to embed in any website. The embed code is hard to use and can easily become corrupted.
This week, we're delighted to announce that Google Drive support has been added to our OSEmbed extension.
You can now embed Google Docs into your Joomla site with just a URL. This feature is so cool that it's not even available in WordPress, which is famous for easy embeds.
Step #2. Get the Google URL
- Visit drive.google.com and find the document you want to embed.
- Click the "Share" link on the right-hand side.
- Copy the URL in the share box, as in the image below:
- If you want to make the document publicly available on your site, make sure the document access is set to "Public on the web":
Step #3. Add the Google URL to a Joomla article
- Go to your Joomla site and login.
- Add the Google URL to a Joomla article:
The URL will automatically be turned into a working Google doc! You'll see a preview inside the editor:
The embed will work perfectly on the front of your site. There are some additional options you can use to remove formatting. For example, you can add ?rm=minimal to the end your Google Docs URL and that will remove the toolbar and all extra elements:
It is already possible to embed Google Presentations using this same technique. Over the next few weeks, we'll be working to support the embedding of many more types of Google docs.
About the author
Steve is the founder of OSTraining. Originally from the UK, he now lives in Sarasota in the USA. He was a teacher for many years before starting OSTraining. Steve wrote the best-selling Drupal and Joomla books.