- Category: Dev News
- Category: Dev News
For a long time, many community members have been pushing for a rework of the Classic front-office theme. The maintainer team is happy to announce that a new front-office theme is being built, and you can find it here.
Why such a decision?
The PrestaShop community provided a lot of feedback and ideas, with suggestions like:
- Upgrade Bootstrap to version 5, the latest LTS
- Rework the structure inside
srcdirectory, which was
- Remove the
core.jsfile that theme developers could not modify or even remove
- Use lazy loading.
- Choose, and use a consistent CSS class naming strategy, for example BEM. This is more maintainable and easier to read.
- Use JSON-LD instead of microdata attributes.
- Add new hooks to help extend the base theme.
- Separate the PrestaShop styling from the Bootstrap raw styling.
- Reduce the number of dependencies.
- Some of the Front office pages would refresh large parts of a page even though only a small part needed to be updated.
- Reuse as many Bootstrap components as possible.
It was impossible to fix all these issues on the Classic theme without breaking the whole ecosystem of modules and community themes. We decided that it was time for a change and a new theme. This is not a complete rework because we did not want to change everything, but we were able to significantly improve the default PrestaShop theme. This new theme can be considered a rebuilt Classic Theme, different, yet similar.
How to try the new theme?
Clone the theme
repository into your
themes directory, run
&& npm run build, enable it from the back office, and
off you go!
Good base for theme developers
This new theme features two different CSS packs. The first one is dedicated to the functional part, the second one is only for styling.
"custom/_custom"; in theme.scss file will get you basically
a pure Boostrap 5 theme base. You can get working immediately and
not waste time by cleaning things you don’t need.
When will it be released?
Because of the complexity of this task, we decided not to announce a release date. This means that, depending on how much time people can spare, the first version of the theme could be released in PrestaShop v8, v9, or later.
We hope to release an Alpha version of the new theme at the same time as the v8 release, but it could be after, alongside a minor version.
This upcoming release is not only dependent on the maintainers, but also on the many contributors who are working hard to make this project happen. So we would like to thank all the contributors as well as everyone who has been participating in the issues and reviews on GitHub. Keep up the good work! This theme is also your theme, feel free to contribute and join the adventure. :-)
How does the new theme look?
This is how the current mockups look like:
What about the Classic theme?
As this new theme is getting bigger and more complete, we must consider what will happen for the Classic Theme when this new theme is ready.
The classic theme has been moved into a dedicated repository and should be compatible with PrestaShop 1.7 and the upcoming PrestaShop 8.
It is not planned to maintain both themes simultaneously, so once the new theme has graduated to become the default theme for new releases, the support of the Classic Theme will be over.
Rest assured, we will make sure that the end-of-life of Classic and the transition to this new theme will be made in the smoothest possible way.
Your feedback is a gift
You can vote to choose the name of this new theme until February 23, 2022.
We need your feedback on this project, don’t hesitate to join the discussion on slack. The community is being regularly consulted there to make sure the new theme will meet the expectations and needs of everyone.
Is there anywhere in the shop where you need to display content and there is no hook available, or is it hard to use? Report it on Github or on Slack.
You can also comment in this thread if you want to discuss any problems or challenges that you encountered while using or developing with the classic theme.
If you want to learn more about this project, watch this video.
- Category: Dev News
- Category: Dev News
This edition of the Core Weekly report highlights changes in PrestaShop’s core codebase from Monday 7th to Sunday 13th of February 2022.
A quick update about PrestaShop’s GitHub issues and pull requests:
- 37 new issues have been created in the project repositories;
- 42 issues have been closed, including 11 fixed issues on the core;
- 125 pull requests have been opened in the project repositories;
- 115 pull requests have been closed, including 108 merged pull requests.
Code changes in the ‘develop’ branch
- #27425: Add hooks in the form process for dataProvider, by @Progi1984
- #27417: PHPStan (Level 5) on controllers/, by @Progi1984
- #26246: Fix robots.txt and generate new one when action on languages. Thank you @okom3pom
- #27461: Add hook to allow adding extra buttons in module configure toolbar, by @sowbiba
- #27441: Don’t search all word for customer search when we create an order. Thank you @okom3pom
- #25805: Override : Create directory if not exists, by @Progi1984
- #21120: Create Back-Office page(s) to manage customer and employee sessions SQL tables, by @PierreRambaud
Code changes in the ‘1.7.8.x’ branch
- #27459: Remove duplicate by using distinct connection and also make sure carts are linked, by @PierreRambaud
- #27516: Fix Entities Mapping. Thank you @okom3pom
- #27150: Update links to reach docs.prestashop-project.org instead of doc.prestashop.com. Thank you @PrestaEdit
Code changes in modules, themes & tools
- #75: Bump elliptic from 6.5.2 to 6.5.4. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #74: Bump y18n from 4.0.0 to 4.0.3. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #73: Bump undefsafe from 2.0.2 to 2.0.5. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #72: Bump lodash from 4.17.15 to 4.17.21. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #71: Bump chart.js from 2.9.3 to 2.9.4. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #70: Bump ua-parser-js from 0.7.21 to 0.7.31. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #69: Bump hosted-git-info from 2.8.5 to 2.8.9. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #68: Bump ajv from 6.11.0 to 6.12.6. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #67: Bump ssri from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #66: Bump browserslist from 4.8.7 to 4.19.1. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #65: Bump postcss from 7.0.26 to 7.0.39. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #64: Bump color-string from 1.5.3 to 1.9.0. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #63: Bump path-parse from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #62: Bump tmpl from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #61: Bump node-fetch from 2.6.0 to 2.6.7. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #60: Bump ws from 5.2.2 to 5.2.3. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #59: Bump tar from 4.4.13 to 4.4.19. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #58: Bump node-sass from 4.13.1 to 7.0.0. Built by @dependabot[bot]
MJML Theme Converter
- #23: Bump node-fetch from 2.6.5 to 2.6.7. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #22: Bump twig/twig from 2.14.1 to 2.14.11. Built by @dependabot[bot]
Search Bar module
- #4: Bump tmpl from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #3: Bump object-path from 0.11.4 to 0.11.8. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #2: Bump ws from 5.2.2 to 5.2.3. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #1: Bump node-sass from 4.13.1 to 7.0.0. Built by @dependabot[bot]
Main menu module
- #87: Bump ajv from 6.10.0 to 6.12.6 in /example_module_mailtheme. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #86: Bump node-sass from 5.0.0 to 7.0.0 in /example_module_mailtheme. Built by @dependabot[bot]
Links list module
Language selector module
Image slider module
- #69: Improved Github Action (Support PHP 5.6 => 8.1), by @Progi1984
- #64: Fix language selector. Thank you @Hlavtox
- #7: Bump node-sass from 6.0.1 to 7.0.0 in /_dev. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #6: Bump nanoid from 3.1.23 to 3.2.0 in /_dev. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #5: Bump path-parse from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7 in /_dev. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #4: Update changes from develop, by @eternoendless
- #3: Add linter in CI, by @eternoendless
- #2: Bump nanoid from 3.1.23 to 3.2.0 in /_dev. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #1: Bump path-parse from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7 in /_dev. Built by @dependabot[bot]
Contextual Help API
Auto Upgrade module
- #460: Bump pathval from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 in /tests/e2e. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #459: Improved Github Action (Support PHP 5.6 => 8.1), by @Progi1984
- #455: Updated PREFIX_state.name field to 80 chars.. Thank you @rickygzz
Buy button lite module
New Front-office theme
- #180: Fix some wrong behaviors inside cart page, by @NeOMakinG
- #179: Cart items and responsive, by @NeOMakinG
- #176: Order details and responsive, by @NeOMakinG
- #172: Order page history and responsive, by @NeOMakinG
- #171: Optimizing font usage for RTL languages. Thank you @mparvazi
Product Comments module
- #135: Release 5.0.1, by @Progi1984
- #134: Improved Github Action (Support PHP 5.6 => 8.1), by @Progi1984
- #132: TypeError on addCommentGrades in case of empty request. Thank you @clotairer
- #124: Renders author name with a link if it is a customer, by @kpodemski
Featured products module
Faceted search module
- #614: Improved Github Action (Support PHP 5.6 => 8.1), by @Progi1984
- #613: Bump @babel/core from 7.17.0 to 7.17.2. Built by @dependabot[bot]
Custom text module
Customer “Sign in” link module
Customer account links module
Prestashop UI Kit
Contact informations module
Category tree links module
Customer reassurance block module
- #355: Improved Github Action (Support PHP 5.6 => 8.1), by @Progi1984
- #354: Bump @babel/core from 7.17.0 to 7.17.2. Built by @dependabot[bot]
User documentation landing page
- #187: chore(deps-dev): bump babel-jest from 27.5.0 to 27.5.1. Built by @dependabot[bot]
- #186: chore(deps-dev): bump babel-jest from 27.4.6 to 27.5.0. Built by @dependabot[bot]
Changes in developer documentation sources
- #1284: adding OFL for fonts to the list., by @ttoine
- #1283: Improve commit guidelines, by @eternoendless
Google Analytics module
Best sellers module
Pages not found module
Simple HTML table display module
NVD3 Charts module
Dashboard Trends module
Dashboard Products module
Dashboard Activity module
Available quantities statistics module
Shop search statistics module
Sales and orders statistics module
Registrations statistics modules
Product details statistics module
Registered customer information statistics module
Newsletter statistics module
Data mining for statistics module
Catalog evaluation statistics module
Wishlist block module
- #291: Create Autoupgrade.md. Thank you @MatShir
- #290: Specs-state. Thank you @Saimis777
- #264: Security specification. Thank you @MatShir
Thank you to the contributors whose pull requests were merged since the last Core Weekly Report: @dependabot[bot], @Progi1984, @atomiix, @NeOMakinG, @eternoendless, @ttoine, @nesrineabdmouleh, @mparvazi, @PrestaEdit, @vladikk007, @clotairer, @okom3pom, @rickygzz, @sowbiba, @PierreRambaud, @ShaiMagal, @MatShir, @Saimis777, @kpodemski, @Hlavtox!
Thank you to the contributors whose PRs haven’t been merged yet! And of course, a big thank you to all those who contribute with issues and comments on GitHub!
If you want to contribute to PrestaShop with code, please read these pages first:
…and if you do not know how to fix an issue but wish to report it, please read this: How to use GitHub to report an issue. Thank you!
Happy contributin’ everyone!
- Category: Dev News